The passing of Sir James Matheson, 1878

The minute book of the Lochs School Board of Lewis for 28 February 1879 notes the sad passing of Sir James Matheson.  Sir James had owned Lewis since 1844 and with the establishment of the School Board system following the Education (Scotland) Act 1872  had gifted parts of his lands to the board on which to build schools.  He had always shown a keen interest in education,  Sir James died in was the owner of Lewis until his death on 31 December 1878 in Menton, France.  the minute below was the first meeting since his death.

Death of Sir James Matheson noted in the School Board of Lochs Minute bookDeath of Sir James Matheson noted in the School Board of Lochs Minute bookTranscription:

Before proceeding witht he business of the meeting, the Chairman made the following motion which was unanimously adopted by the Board:  that this Board record their deep sense of the heavy loss sustained not only by the Parish of Lochs, but by the whole inhabitants of Lews in the death of Sir James Matheson, Baronet, Sole Proprietor of the island who was a most generous Landlord and princely in his liberality towards the cause of Education which he had always much at heart.  the Clerk was instructed to send a copy of this Resolution to Lady Matheson expressing at same time the Board’s sympathy with her Ladyship in her bereavement.

About David Powell

Project Manager and Archivist with Tasglann nan Eilean Siar
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.